The motorcycle is one of the most practical and fun transport today. Who does not enjoy the feeling of speed and the wind in their face? While you might like frolicking around on your bike, ensuring your own safety and security is imperative. Wearing a low-profile motorcycle helmet will keep you protected from the sun, dust, and pollution and secure your head in case of an accident. With this said, there are some great helmets out there, but you just need to research and find out whether they meet the US Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.
Some riders buy a helmet j because it looks good, without worrying much about the consequences and aspects of using something stylist that is not DOT approved. Just because a helmet looks cool does not necessarily mean it's up to wear and tear.
The WHO explains that a certified helmet fulfills six essential functions:
1) It reduces the deceleration of the skull and the brain mass movement in a collision. This reduces the speed of impact and allows the head to come to a slower stop. During the crash, the brain does not hit the skull with more incredible speed and force.
2) It disperses the energy of the impact on a larger surface, and the blow is not concentrated in a specific area; when this occurs, the result is usually fatal.
3) Avoid direct hitting the skull with the pavement, as it works as a mechanical protection barrier.
4) It protects the scalp from abrasion in case you are dragged by an impact.
5) Protects the head from being hit by objects on public roads such as stones, iron, glass, etc.
6) It is advisable to buy two helmets, one for the driver and one for the passenger.
By not wearing a helmet, you increase the risk of suffering a head injury in an accident.
Due to the high incidence of motorcycle accidents in the world, it is recommended to
Always wear a certified helmet that withstands impacts on a motorcycle,
Always respect speed limits
Always buckle up yours and your passenger's helmet.
Do not drive drunk,
Do not use a cell phone while driving